Kabab Shishlik is one of the most famous and oldest Iranian kebabs. The cooking method is different from other kebabs such as Kabab Koobideh and Chenjeh. Because shishlik is prepared from lamb ribs, yogurt, and saffron, grilling it is the most important part of preparing this kebab.
How to Make Shishlik?
- 1 kg beef or mutton ribs
- 1 glass yogurt
- 2 tablespoons brewed saffron
- 10 tablespoons oil
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 5 onions
- 10 tomatoes
- Salt and pepper as needed
To prepare Shishlik, you should use beef or lamb ribs; of course, it will be tastier with lamb ribs. The only difference between kebab Shishlik and leaf kebab (Kabab Barg) is that shishlik is cooked with bones.
Cut the rib meat into equal sizes with a sharp and heavy knife for better results. When shopping, you can usually ask the butcher to cut the meat for you.
Wash and peel the onions. To get onion juice, chop them with a fine grater or use a blender. Pour grated onion, yogurt, brewed saffron, lemon juice, oil, and some pepper into a bowl and mix, then put the meat in the ingredients.
Then leave it for at least one night in the refrigerator. This will help make your kebab crispy. Note: You should not add salt to the meat at this stage because it will dry out the kebab.
After resting the rib over the night, you need to skewer the Shishlik.
For skewering, hold the bone in hand and then pull the meat from the top of the rib to the skewer, so the skewer passes through the middle of two rib bones. With this method, the kebabs will no longer rotate on the skewers.
For grilling of meats, when skewering, the curvature of all the ribs should be on the same side. Another thing to note is that the meat on the bone is much thinner at the top so that it can burn very quickly.
To prevent the meat from burning, place an aluminum foil on top of the bone after skewering the meat.,
When grilling, it is better to use charcoal, but if you don’t have access, you can prepare Shishliks in the oven or on the stove with medium heat. While cooking, melt the butter, add a little saffron, and brush it on the kebabs several times.
When the kebabs are half cooked, you can sprinkle a little salt on them. Tomatoes are grilled in a shorter time. Cut the tomatoes in half and put them on a skewer at the end of the cooking Shishlik.
How to Serve Shishlik?
You can also sprinkle a little salt on the tomatoes to season them. After the kebabs and tomatoes are ready, serve them with saffron rice. You can use a little butter and slices of fresh lemon for better taste. Enjoy your meal.
KeyPoints for Making Shishlik
- Kebab sauce helps the shishlik to become crispy; the thicker this sauce is; The kebab will be tastier; for this reason, after mixing the ingredients of the kebab sauce, put it on low heat until it thickens a bit, then apply it to the pieces of meat and ribs.
- If you don’t have enough time to leave the ribs in the refrigerator for a few hours, use Kiwi! Kiwi speeds up the cooking process; you can put the kebabs in the container in which you put crushed KiwiKiwi for up to one hour; Kiwi is acidic and softens the texture of the meat very quickly.
- If the pieces of meat are left in the mashed Kiwi for too long, they will lose their texture.
- The most important thing to remember is that the meat should never be boiled before grilling; boil it only when you have fried it in a pan.
- You will get the best shishlik kebab when you are patient; Cook food on low heat and do not rush to prepare it.
- Remember to sprinkle salt on the meat at the last stage! Adding salt from the beginning will make the texture of the meat hard and prevent it from being cooked.