In the Hungarian language, ‘Meggy’ means sour cherries, and ‘leves’ means soup. Sour cherry soup is a delicious soup with a slightly sweet taste. It is called sour soup because it is made with sour cream as the main ingredient. This Hungarian cherry soup is served chilled and usually on warm summer nights.
The chilled cherry soup was first invented by the Austrians, Poles, Slovaks, and Germans and then brought to North America.
The important point in the Meggyleves recipe is that the soup must be made with sour cherries, not sweet cherries, on or for hot summer luncheons.
Hungarian cherry soup is great for appetizers or snacks. It’s not too heavy and not too light; it is hearty yet light enough to satisfy your hunger. Here is the Best Sour Cherry Soup Recipe for Healthy Winter Meals.
Ingredients for Meggyleves Recipe
- 0.5 kg of cherries
- Four tablespoons of sugar
- One teaspoon of salt
- Two cinnamon sticks
- Five cloves
- 1.8 decilitre of sour cream
- 1 cup of fine flour
- 2 liters of water
Hungarian Cherry Soup Recipe
First, wash the cherries, and pour water into a pot with salt and sugar on the stove. Start cooking a Hungarian sour cherry soup by adding cherries to boiling water. Then add cinnamon and cloves to the boiling water with cherries. (Remove the cloves and stick of cinnamon after the soup is ready.)
After about 15-20 minutes, we can add the cream. To make a dilute cream for Hungarian chilled cherry soup, add flour to the sour cream and stir until you have a smooth cream, then dilute it with a bit of water or a cup of your boiling soup.
Now the cream is ready to be added to the soup. It’s better to pour the cream through a sieve. Mix the soup well and bring it to a boil. After a while, you can transfer the soup into your serving bowls and leave it until it gets cold.
The Hungarian chilled cherry soup has a delicate, lovely taste and is made fast and super easy in just five steps.
- Pour water into a pot with salt and sugar until it boils.
- Add sour cherries to the boiling water.
- Add cinnamon and cloves to the pot.
- After 15 to 20 minutes, add the mixture of sour cream, flour, and water to the soup.
- Let the soup boil for a while, then transfer it to your soup bowls and leave them until they are chilled.
How to Serve Meggyleves?
Hungarian cold cherry soup is traditionally served as a dinner course, usually as an appetizer, soup, or dessert. The soup is usually served cold and in small bowls for individuals.
Notes and Tips for Hungarian Cherry Soup Recipe
- When adding cream to the soup, you can add a cup of hot soup to your cream, mix or shake it well and then pour it into the soup. With this method, flour gathering in the soup is less likely, which is so annoying at the time of serving.
- If you wish, you can flavor the cooked soup with red wine.
- The cold cherry soup, as its name says, is traditionally served cold; but you can also serve it hot if you like the warm taste of it better.
Chilled sour cherry soup is a great European dish for summer nights with great flavors And lots of vitamin C.