Shir berenj is considered to be a tasty rice pudding made in a unique Persian style to melt your heart and taste buds.
Shir means milk, and berenj means rice. Shir berenj is made with these two simple ingredients. The rice is gently boiled in water to break it apart, giving it a sticky, creamy texture. Next, put the milk in a cup and simmer to cook the starch of the rice into a smooth pudding.
Do not worry, as we will elaborate more about how you can prepare shir berenj at home further in the content.
Shir berenj is entirely sugar-free and has a slight aroma of rose water. Rice pudding can be topped with fruits, nuts, or ground cardamom in combination with a variety of delicious sweets such as maple syrup, melted chocolate, honey, fruit syrup, and fruit jam.
The Ingredients Needed for Preparing Shir Berenj
You need the following ingredients for preparing the Persian dessert of Shir berenj.
All you need is:
- Jasmine Rice or Cal rose rice
- 4 cups of water
- 1/4 tbsp. salt to taste
- 7 cups of milk
- 2 tbsp. rosewater
That’s it. The ingredients were simple, and they are found in every home.
Now for decorating and topping purposes, you can use the following. Remember that these are highly optional and not mandatory.
- Fruit syrups
- Maple syrup and so on.
How to Prepare Shir Berenj?
- Wash the rice nicely and drain. Put rice in a saucepan with 1 cup of milk, 1 cup of water, salt, and cardamom pods. Bring to a boil gently, reduce heat, cover and cook for about 10-15 minutes (or until the liquid is absorbed and the rice grains are tender).
- Add the remaining 2 cups of milk to the rice.
- Remove the cover over medium heat and bring to a boil. When it boils, reduce the heat and simmer for about 20 minutes (while stirring slowly and frequently) until the mixture is thick.
- Remove from the stove. Remove and dispose of the cardamom pod.
- Pour shir berenj into a large serving bowl or individual bowl and allow to cool.
- Decorate as you like. Please cool it and then chill it in the refrigerator.
Rice Pudding Tips
- Please note that Vitamin B2 is very sensitive to light and oxidizes quickly, so you need to cover the pot after adding milk.
- Bloomed saffron can be added to Shir Berenj to give it a beautiful golden color and saffron flavor.
- If you want to make a Rice pudding recipe with whipped cream, reduce 1 cup of milk and replace it with 1 cup of whipped cream.
- If you don’t desire to use sugar, you can dissolve nabat or rock candy in boiling water and replace it with sugar.
- Rice milk can be enjoyed as a snack or as a cold dessert.
- When adding milk to rice, putting one or two cinnamon sticks in the pan is a good idea.
Wasn’t the process easy? Now you can prepare shir berenj at home and enjoy the taste of Persian dessert wherever in the world you are.