Although blooming saffron is simple, it has some notable points that will give you a great final result. Saffron has antidepressant properties and helps improve respiratory health, heart, skin and digestive system health and increases intelligence. This rich and tasty plant is usually used in cooking as a brew. But how to bloom colorful saffron?
Foods to make with Saffron:
- How to make Zereshk polo ba morgh
- Lubia polo recipe (Persian green bean rice)
- Bastani Sonnati Recipe; Make Saffron Ice Cream in 6 Steps
How to Bloom Saffron?
There are two general methods:
- Blooming saffron with boiling water
- Blooming saffron with ice
To bloom saffron, we must first know how to grind it. It is usually first ground in a mortar to faster release its taste and color. In most parts of Iran, with a bit of sugar, saffron is ground, which will prevent it from burning and make saffron sweet.
We suggest this method as the best method of blooming saffron. We must also pay attention to the fact that grinding saffron with metal mortars causes saffron to burn, losing its properties and amount of color. The best and easiest way to grind saffron is to grind it with a spoon.
Bloom Saffron with Boiling Water
As you know, saffron has a warm and slightly bitter nature. After grinding saffron, pour it into a small amount of boiling water and let it rest for 10 to 15 minutes until the saffron gives its taste and color to water. The amount of water and saffron you use to bloom is optional. But please use a third of a glass of water, and the saffron is about a tablespoon or more.
The usual method for extracting rosehips and sweating from other medicinal plants has been blooming and heating them. Therefore, we have a better way to bloom saffron, and we do not recommend this method for blooming saffron.
Bloom Saffron with Ice
In cooking books and programs, we have seen that when people want to use the color saffron in cooking and sweets, it is recommended to dissolve it in some boiling water. But here we want to introduce to you another method.
Ice! Were you surprised? You may wonder how we should bloom saffron with ice? Here is how you should do it.
How to Bloom Saffron with Ice?
It is better to pour the saffron into a glass, place small ice molds in the amount of saffron available, and let the ice melt at room temperature until the saffron gives its extract and color to the water. Those who have had this experience say that this method has been much better for blooming saffron.
The amount of ice used for blooming depends on the amount of ground saffron. For example, for half a teaspoon of ground saffron, two pieces of ice the size of the ice maker produced by home refrigerators are enough. If you need more saffron color, increase the amount of ground saffron and ice in the same proportion.
How Much Saffron Are We Allowed to Eat?
The permissible daily consumption of saffron is about 1 gram; the amount of tincture used is about 15 drops per day. Consumption of 3 grams of saffron per month is very healthy and beneficial, but consuming more than 5 grams per month is harmful.
Did you know that consuming 5 grams of saffron in one meal can lead to human death? So be careful not to use more than 3 grams of saffron per month.
Health Benefits of Saffron
Saffron infusion is effective for moderate to severe abdominal pain and upper abdomen. It also soothes pain in the lining of the colon. Saffron tea helps treat many diseases such as asthma, cough, dry skin, nervous attack, flatulence, heartburn, insomnia and premature ejaculation.
Important Points for Grinding and Blooming Saffron
- When buying saffron in bulk, never buy chopped saffron because first-class saffron should be filamentous and red, thus preventing the purchase of fake saffron and profiteers who sell crude or second-class raw materials first-class.
- Always keep saffron in a vacuum and isolated container or environment so that its aroma and taste are not diminished.
- Keep saffron in a dry place away from direct sunlight.
- Buy saffron from brands that specialize in saffron, which you can follow in case of dissatisfaction, and return the purchased saffron.
- If you grind saffron with sugar, the saffron brewing time will be longer.
- Pay attention to the amount of water you pour into the saffron. The amount of water you pour should not be more than saffron; Because saffron becomes watery.
Do not forget to make this recipe and share it with us. If you also have any related questions about Blooming saffron, please do not hesitate to ask.