Bastani Sonnati, or Saffron ice cream, is one of the traditional and popular Iranian desserts that has a long history. This dessert is made from milk, sugar, saleb, and saffron, and it is served with a topping of flaked pistachios. There is nothing like ice cream with the flavor of saffron and rose water. You can make this Persian saffron ice cream at home in all seasons and enjoy it.
Stay with Cooking County with the recipe for delicious Bastani Sonnati.
Ingredients for making Bastani Sonnati
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups full-fat milk
- ¼ cup rose water
- 2 tablespoons cream
- ½ tablespoon saffron/ boiling water
- 1 tablespoon salep powder
- Cardamom essential oil as needed(optional)
- 1 tablespoon flaked pistachio
How to make Bastani Sonnati?
The preparation time for Bastani Sonnati is about half an hour. However, you have to put it in the freezer for a few hours until it is completely ready. Here is how to prepare Bastani Sonnati step by step.
To make the cream for Bastani Sonnati, you have to spread the cream on a tray with a spoon. Then place the tray in the freezer until the cream is completely firm. Take the cream out of the freezer and remove the cream from the tray’s surface. Chop them into small pieces with your hand and set them aside.
First, put the milk on the heat to bring it to boiling temperature. When the milk boils, reduce the flame. Then, add rose water and saffron to the milk and stir well until the milk is a bit heavy and thick. If the surface of the milk burns, remove them with a strainer.
Then mix the sugar and saleb and slowly add them to the milk. It should be noted that after adding saleb to milk, you must stir it constantly.
Note: Salep powder is to give elasticity to the ice cream. So the amount of saleb you add to the milk is very important. If you add less of it, it will not form, and it will be thick if you add more of it.
Remove the ingredients from the heat and place them in a large bowl. Now, you have to fill the inside of a pot with ice to speed up the cooling process. Then, place the bowl on the ice. Now you have to stir the ingredients constantly to stretch the ice cream. Put it in the freezer for 40 minutes to 2 hours (It depends on the refrigerator type.)
Once it starts forming from the sides, remove it from the freezer and stir the ingredients from the sides to the center. After stirring, transfer the ingredients to the freezer for another 45 minutes. Now, it is time to add and stir flaked pistachios, cream, and cardamom essential oil (optional) to the ingredients until they are spread all over the ice cream.
Take the saffron ice cream out and repeat the process 5 to 6 times until the ice cream is fully formed. After 8 hours, our Bastani Sonnati is ready.
How to Serve Bastani Sonnati?
Transfer the ice cream to a dessert bowl, design it with flaked pistachios, and enjoy it.
6 Key Points in Preparing a Delicious Bastani Sonnati
- To make ice cream, it is better for the density of milk to be 35% or more.
- Too much sugar prevents the ice cream from forming.
- “Saleb causes the ice cream to stretch,” So the more (but not more than the usual amount) you add salep, the more the ice cream stretches.
- If you want to make ice cream in an ice cream machine, you must put it in the freezer to form a little and then pour it into the machine for 20 to 25 minutes.
- If you do not want the pieces of cream in the ice cream to freeze, you must use high-fat cream.
- To make chocolate ice cream, you can use cocoa powder instead of saffron.
Do not forget to make this recipe and share it with us. If you also have any related questions about the Bastani Sonnati recipe, please do not hesitate to ask.