Nazook is a delicious, sweet pastry originating from Armenia. It has been a traditional treat for centuries and is now increasingly popular in many countries worldwide. This simple yet delectable recipe combines simple ingredients like flour, sugar, butter, and yogurt to create a unique, sweet and savory flavor. Not only is Nazook easy to make at home and great for entertaining guests or just sharing with friends and family. Stay with Cooking County to make this delicious sweet.
History of Nazook
Armenian Nazook is a sweet pastry passed down in Armenian culture for centuries. It is thought to have originated in the Middle East and has since become famous worldwide. This delicious treat can be traced back to Armenia, where Armenian bakers first created it. The result? A mouthwatering pastry with just the right balance of sweetness, crunchiness, and nutty flavor that all Armenians know and love!
How to Make Nazook?
- 80 grams granulated sugar
- 30 grams cold butter
- 60 grams flour
- 230 grams flour
- 20 grams granulated sugar
- 80 grams cold butter
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup yogurt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon brewed saffron
In order to prepare a delicious Armenian Nazook, first prepare the inner ingredients. Take a bowl, sift the flour, and add sugar to it. Then, cut the cold butter into cubes.
Now, add the butter to the bowl and mix it with the flour with the back of a fork until it becomes homogeneous. Then, put the middle ingredients in the refrigerator until it cools completely. Now, it is time to make the dough.
For this purpose, sift the flour into a suitable bowl, then cut the butter into cubes and add it to the bowl. Next, knead the ingredients with your fingertips until the flour becomes like breadcrumbs.
Now add sugar to the bowl and mix. Next, mix the egg with the vanilla extract in a suitable bowl and add it to the flour bowl, then mix the yogurt with baking soda.
Add the yogurt mixture to the bowl and mix with a whisk until a soft and smooth paste is obtained. Now, knead the dough in the bowl with your fingertips, then put the dough in a freezer bag.
Now, put the dough in the refrigerator for 1 hour to rest. After one hour, turn the oven to 170°C until it is completely heated, then sprinkle flour on the work surface.
Take the dough out of the refrigerator and place it on the work surface. Then roll out the dough into a rectangle with the help of a rolling pin. Next, separate the egg yolk from the egg white and mix it with a fork.
Now dip the brush into the egg white and apply it on the entire surface of the dough. Next, pour the middle ingredients evenly on the dough, then roll the dough from a bowl and roll a little.
Cut the dough with a cutter to the desired size and shape at this stage. Mix egg yolk with brewed saffron and apply it on the dough with a brush, then cover the oven tray with parchment paper.
Now, put the pastry dough in the oven tray, then place the tray in the middle of the oven. Next, put a bowl of boiling water under the oven to create moisture and make the texture of the sweets soft and tender.
Now let the Nazook stay in the oven for 20 to 25 minutes until they are completely cooked.
How to Serve Nazook?
After this time, take out the tray from the oven and put them in the desired dish when the sweets have cooled down. Enjoy your delicious Nazook!
Remember to make this recipe and share it with us. Please do not hesitate to ask if you also have any related questions about the Nazook recipe.
Tips for Making Nazook
Here are some tips about making Nazook that will help make the process easier and more successful:
- When rolling out the dough for the crust of the Nazook, be sure to use plenty of flour on your work surface to prevent sticking.
- You must roll the dough as thin as possible without tearing it so it will bake up nice and crisp in your oven.
- Brush each layer of dough with butter before adding the next layer. This will give your finished pastry extra flavor and crispness.
- Be sure to fill your pastries sparingly with the sweet filling – too much filling could cause them to burst open while baking!
- The dough should be very cold when rolled out, so it won’t stick or tear easily – refrigerate it between rolling sessions if needed!
- Using high-quality butter and flour will ensure that your dough comes together correctly, which will give you a result that everyone loves. You should also use fresh yeast to get the best flavor from your Nazook.