Barbari bread is one of the most favorite kinds of bread in Iran that Iranians serve for breakfast or with their food like Kashke Bademjan. This traditional Persian bread is crunchy outside and soft inside, so it is delicious and children like to eat it lonely.
Stick with me to simply bake Barbari bread step by step.
Barbari bread ingredient
For making Barbari bread, we need to make the dough; then we should make a glaze to brush and sesame to top the Bread.
Barbari dough ingredient
|All-purpose flour||500 grams (4 cups)|
|Salt||7 grams (1 ½ teaspoons)|
|Granulated sugar||5 grams (1 teaspoon)|
|Unsalted butter||15 grams (1 tablespoon)|
|Instant yeast||7 grams (2 ¼ teaspoons)|
|Warm water||320 milliliters (1 1/3 cups)|
|Wheat bran||125 grams (1 cup)|
Glaze and topping ingredient
|All-purpose flour||1 tablespoon|
|Baking soda||½ teaspoon|
Barbari bread recipe
To make Barbari first of all we will make the dough, and when the dough is resting, we will make the glaze to brush on the dough.
Barbari dough recipe
- Mix flour, salt, instant yeast, softened butter, and sugar in a bowl with a mixer with a dough hook. If you want to use active dry yeast, you have to dissolve it in warm water with sugar. Then cover it, and let it rest for 10 minutes to activate the yeast.
- Add the water gradually on low speed and continue mixing. When the dough comes together, turn the speed to medium. After 10 minutes, when the dough is not sticky, turn off the mixer.
- Place the dough in a bowl, and cover it with a kitchen towel for 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle flour on the workspace, and place the dough on it. Divide the dough into two balls. After that, cover them with the kitchen towel to rise for 30 minutes.
- Now it is time to form the dough, sprinkle wheat bans on the workspace or you can use all-purpose flour. Press and stretch the dough into oval shapes with your fingers. You should pull and press with your finger to shape it and avoid using a rolling pin.
Pour water into a saucepan and dissolve the flour in the water. Then, add baking soda and simmer it until making it a little thicken.
Bake Barbari in the oven
When the glaze gets cool, uncover the shaped dough. After that, put your fingers in the glaze; then a little moisturize the dough and make the indentations in the bread. You can also top sesame on the bread before baking. Preheat the oven to 230°C or 440°F, and when the oven is hot, bake the Barbari in the oven for 15 minutes or until the top is golden. Our delicious Barbari bread is ready to serve!
How to serve Barbari?
Notes and tips for Barbari
- You can store barbari in the zip lock bag for 3 days or fridge it. If you fridge the barbari, warm it before serving.
- There is another glaze to top the bread, you can whisk the egg and top the bread with a brush.
- If you do not have a mixer, mix the ingredients with your hand and knead them completely till it does not stick to your hand.
- You can also shape the nan barbari into circular shapes instead of oval shapes.