Khoresht Havij is one of the types of Iranian stew that originally belonged to the city of Tabriz and is also known as Turkish carrot stew. We recommend this stew to those who are looking for special flavors. Carrot stew is usually cooked with meat, but you can prepare it with white meat such as chicken and turkey. In addition, you can prepare this stew without meat and be completely vegetarian.
Ingredients of Khoresht Havij
|Tomato paste||½ tablespoon|
|Lemon juice||As needed|
|Turmeric, salt, black pepper, and cinnamon||As needed|
|Brewed saffron||As needed|
|Oil and butter||As needed|
How to cook carrot stew
- To prepare a delicious Khoresht Havij, peel the onion, wash and chop it into small pieces. Then, put a suitable pot on low heat, and add the onion.
- Now, fry the onion a little, and let the excess water evaporates. Next, pour some oil into the pot, and then fry the onion until it becomes light and golden. Now, it is time to add turmeric and black pepper.
- Continue roasting until the aroma of the spices is released. Next, chop the meat, add it to the pot, and fry it until it changes color. Then, add salt and cinnamon sticks to the meat.
- Now mix until the ingredients are combined. Pour boiling water until it covers the ingredients, and let the meat cook for 3 hours. Now, pour prune into a suitable bowl.
- Pour water on the prunes, and let them soak for 20 minutes. Peel the carrots, and cut them into pieces.
- Put a pan on low heat, pour some oil, add the sliced carrots to the pan, and fry them. Put the lid on the pan, and let the carrots cook. Next, add tomato paste.
- Fry the tomato paste until it is completely fried. Add sugar and brewed saffron to the sliced carrots, and fry them for a few minutes. Then add them to the meat mixture, and mix the ingredients.
- Finally, add the soaked prunes along with some lemon juice.
Note: The stew should not be watery.
How to Serve Khoresht Havij
After 30 minutes, serve the carrot stew in the desired dish with Persian rice. Enjoy your meal.
Do not forget to make this recipe and share it with us. If you also have questions about the Khoresht Havij recipe, please do not hesitate to ask.