Rice is one of the main foods on the Iranian tables, which is cooked in two forms: Simple rice (Kateh) and drained rice. Many families prepare drained rice because it looks better. But Kateh has more nutritional value than drained rice because it is not rinsed.
To prepare a delicious Kateh, you must know the important points of its preparation. So, you can prepare a simple Kateh and serve it with Chenjeh Kabab, Ghormeh Sabzi, Khoresh Bamieh, and any other type of delicious Persian food that you want to prepare at home. If you are still not familiar with how to prepare Kateh, stay with Cooking County.
How to Make Kateh?
- 4 cups soaked rice
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 tablespoons oil
- Wash the rice well about three to four times without greasing and change the water until the water runs clear.
- Soak the rice in water and salt for at least two to 24 hours.
- Pour soaked rice into the pot, and adjust the water level so that it is almost a fingertip higher than the height of the rice in the pot.
If you did not use salt while soaking the rice, add one tablespoon of salt and one tablespoon of oil to the rice. Put the pot without a lid on high heat. After the water boils, and you see the huge amount of water evaporate, reduce the flame. Make holes in the rice with the bottom of a spoon, and put the pot’s lid with the steamer until the rice is thoroughly steamed.
After about 30 minutes, your Kateh is ready. Pour it into a dish. When pouring Kateh into the dish, be careful not to push the rice too much with the spatula, so it does not get crushed.
How to Serve Kateh?
Your Kateh is ready. Serve it simple, or enjoy it with your favorite Khoresht.
Key Points for Making Kateh
- You can serve Kateh with most Iranian dishes. We suggest plum spinach stew or chicken feed.
- Kateh should be made with Iranian rice, but if you use Indian rice, You need more time to soak and cook the rice.
- Because rice is not rinsed, pay attention to the amount of salt you add so that the rice is not salty.
- If you have already soaked the rice or want the rice to be a bit grainy, add less water to the pot.
- If your rice needs a little cooking time, you don’t need to soak it before cooking.
- Washing the rice before soaking and cooking helps a lot with the shape and taste of the rice. If you wash the rice in advance, it will retain its shape more during cooking, and its color will also be whiter.
Do not forget to make this recipe and share it with us. If you also have questions about the Kateh recipe, please do not hesitate to ask.