If you’re in the mood for a delicious Middle Eastern-style sandwich, this Felafel recipe is perfect. Although it may look complicated, it’s pretty simple to make. All you need is a few common ingredients and a little time. Trust us; your taste buds will thank you! Join Cooking County with the recipe of Felafel.
How to Make Felafel?
- 300 grams chickpeas
- 2 medium onions
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon green or black cumin powder
- 3 garlic cloves
- 50 grams parsley
- 1 small potato
- 1 medium lemon
- Turmeric and oil as needed
- Salt and black pepper as needed
- 1 teaspoon falafel spice
To prepare Falafel, soak the chickpeas. The longer you soak the chickpeas, the better the Falafel will be.
Note: The minimum time to soak the chickpeas is 6 hours. In addition to softening the peas, soaking them helps remove their bloating.
It is very easy to prepare the Falafel; just mix chickpeas with other ingredients after they are well soaked. Put the soaked chickpeas with parsley, garlic, onion, coriander seed powder, potatoes and cumin into a mixer or meat grinder until the falafel mixture is mixed well.
Note: Adding parsley to Falafel is optional.
After grinding or mixing the falafel mixture, take the lemon juice and strain it. Add strained lemon juice, salt, black pepper, falafel spice, and turmeric to the falafel mixture. At this stage, after adding the flavorings, grind or mix the falafel mixture one more time.
After grinding the mixture again, knead the falafel mixture with your hands for about 5 minutes until it becomes completely consistent and uniform (the falafel mixture should be slightly loose after preparation and should not be too hard).
After the falafel mixture is ready, it is better to put it in the refrigerator for about one to two hours to become more consistent. But if you need more time for this, you can directly fry the falafels.
Place a deep pan on very low heat and pour enough oil in it so that the falafels float in the oil.
Note: Ensure to fry the Felafel in enough oil because if the oil covers them, you will have a tasty felafel.
Fill the falafel mold with the falafel mixture and press it well with the back of a spoon so that it does not separate during frying. Put the mixture in oil and let the falafels cook slowly.
After the falafels are fried, place them on a metal grid or a towel to remove excess oil.
How to Serve Felafel?
After the excess oil from the Falafel is removed, put them in a dish and serve with baguette bread, tomatoes, pickled cucumbers and chopped lettuce. Besides Falafel, you can use mango sauce or ketchup sauce.
What is Felafel Mold?
A small, round mold is used to make traditional felafel balls. The mold is usually made of metal or plastic and has a hole in the center to shape the balls quickly. Felafel molds come in different sizes, but the most common size is about 2 inches in diameter.
To use a felafel mold, first, wet your hands to prevent the mixture from sticking. Then, take a small amount of the mixture and shape it into a ball. Place the ball into the center of the mold and gently press down to form it into the desired shape. Finally, remove the ball from the mold and place it on a plate or baking sheet. Repeat this process until all of the mixtures are used up.
Key Points for making Felafel
- But if you want to have tastier and more elegant Falafel, we recommend you use this aromatic vegetable.
- Professional chefs recommend using a meat grinder to prepare the falafel mixture because the mixer purees the ingredients thoroughly.
- Pureeing chickpeas causes the Falafel to break apart during frying, but when the falafel mixture is ground, it is not crushed completely.
- An important point at this stage is that if you have a lot of falafel sauce, you can put it in a freezer bag and put it in the freezer and use it whenever you want.
- One of the important points when frying Falafel is the heat under the pan; if you increase the heat to cook the Falafel faster, the oil will burn very quickly and turn black.
- Meanwhile, the edges of your Falafel will be fried, and the inside will remain raw. So take your time frying the falafels.
Remember to make this recipe and share it with us. If you also have any related questions about this recipe, please do not hesitate to ask.