In Persian cuisine, Borani Esfenaj is a traditional spinach yogurt dip served with bread.
Borani Esfenaj can be both an appetizer and a side dish; on the other hand, due to having spinach that is rich in iron and yogurt that is full of calcium, it can even be a light, healthy and nutritious meal. Besides its abundant properties, Borani Esfenaj is delicious and easy to prepare. Join Cooking County with the recipe of Borani Esfenaj.
How to Make Borani Esfenaj?
- 1 kg Spinach
- 500 grams of dripped yogurt
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 4 tablespoons walnut kernels
- Salt and black pepper as needed
First, remove the skin of the garlic, then chop it finely and set it aside. Then, wash and clean the spinach and soak it in a bowl full of water for 10 minutes.
After 10 minutes, place the spinach in a colander to drain the excess water. After the spinach is dry, chop it into small pieces and set it aside.
Put a suitable pot on heat and add chopped spinach and garlic. Add some salt and black pepper to the spinach and turn it upside down until it releases water and the excess water evaporates.
After the excess water evaporates and the spinach is well cooked, remove the pot from the heat and set it aside. Wait for the spinach to cool down. Add some salt and black pepper to the yogurt and mix well.
Add the cooled-down spinach to the yogurt and mix them well until they are completely combined. Next, we crush the walnut kernel and add it to the mixture of other ingredients.
After the Borani spinach is ready, pour it into small bowls and put it in the refrigerator until it cools completely.
How to Serve Spinach Yogurt Dip?
After the spinach yogurt dip is cooled, serve it as an appetizer at your family gatherings and parties and enjoy it. If you also want a light meal, you can consider it an option.
Tips for Making Borani Esfenaj
- In order to make the spinach yogurt dip uniquely, make sure to use walnut kernels in it.
- To decorate this delicious snack and appetizer, you can use walnut powder, dried mint, and rosemary.
- Spinach yogurt dip is usually prepared with a lot of garlic; of course, we can reduce or increase the amount of it according to our taste (If you have no problem with garlic in food, you can add up to 6 cloves of garlic to this delicious appetizer.)
- To make Borani Esfenaj tastier, add some chopped fresh mint or dry mint and a little rose powder.
- To prepare a dietary spinach yogurt dip, it is better to steam the spinach.
- You can also use fresh rosemary and fresh barberry leaves to decorate the spinach yogurt dip.
Do not forget to make this recipe and share your opinion about it with us. If you also have any related questions about the Borani Esfenaj recipe, please do not hesitate to ask.
If you like to use spinach in your dishes, do not forget to read the recipe of Khoresh Aloo Esfenaj and make it at home!