We look at different people and different hometowns. We get surprised at the other cuisine and traditions they have. Baghali ghatogh is one of them that leaves your mouth watering once you taste it.
Baghali Ghatogh is a northern Iranian cuisine made from broad beans, dill, and eggs. In northern states such as Gilan and Mazandaran, it is usually served with Kateh (a Persian rice dish) and can be considered Khoresh or Persian stew. It is seasoned with turmeric, salt, garlic, and sometimes pepper.
Other Northern Iranian Food:
- Kabab Torsh Recipe; Lamb Kebabs in Pomegranate Molasses
- Anar Bij Recipe; Make Northern Iranian Stew
- Khoresh Morgh Nardoni Recipe; Persian Pomegranate Chicken
- Vavishka Recipe; Ground Beef and Tomatoes
Outside of Iran, this dish is cooked with either lima beans, green beans, or broad beans. If you use dried beans, you need to soak them overnight (this will reduce cooking time).
Baghali ghatogh is green in color, and its aroma will drive you crazy. It is considered to be an exotic meal for vegetarians. It is a great treat to the soul.
Once you have Baghali ghatogh, you will never forget its taste. Don’t you believe it? Try it once. Let us read more to understand what we need for preparing the yummy Baghali ghatogh and the ingredients.
Ingredients of Baghali ghatogh
It requires simple ingredients such as:
- 2 cups of Lima beans
- 2 tbsp. of Dried dill
- 2 Eggs
- 2 Garlic cloves
- Salt and paper to taste
- 2 tbsp. Vegetable oil
How to Prepare Baghali Ghatogh at Home?
The ingredients were simple; now, let us read about the preparation process to know how you can enjoy making and having Baghali ghatogh at home.
- The beans should be soaked in hot water for at least 2 hours before making the stew. That way, the beans can be easily peeled and halved.
- Add oil to the pan and wait for it to heat up. In the meantime, you need to dice the garlic, put it in oil and fry it a little. Garlic burns quickly, so be careful when frying. When you feel the scent of stir-fried garlic, move on to the next step.
- Add the beans to the garlic and stir a little. Next, add two spoons of dried dill to the other ingredients. Note: Do not add salt to the elements at this step, as salt can harden the beans. Therefore, it is advisable to add salt and pepper as a final step.
- Add 2 cups of water to the material and cover. The stew should be cooked for 15 minutes and thickened before serving. Note: The stew should be agitated every 5 minutes to prevent it from burning. But you don’t want to grind the beans, so go slowly and carefully.
- After 15 minutes, add the eggs. You can then combine it with the stew by whipping it in a pan and stirring it. But if you’re enjoying the whole egg, skipping the stir and boil for a while is a good idea. If you don’t want to mix the eggs with the stew, you can cook the eggs in a pan and place them in the Baghali Ghatogh when serving.
Good News for All the Vegans!
If you want to try Baghali Ghatogh vegan or don’t like the taste of the eggs in your food, don’t worry. Just follow the instructions and omit the eggs. The authentic taste of Baghali Ghatogh is preserved, and you can enjoy this meal very much.
Remember to put the pickled garlic on the table when serving the stew. You can double the fantastic taste of Baghali Ghatogh and add flavor to it. Even if you want to try the original Baghali Ghatogh, you must travel north of Iran immediately!
Warm Baghali Ghatogh with toasted Sangak (Persian pebble flatbread), Lavash flatbread, or Kateh (quick Persian rice) is fantastic. Try tasting the Baghali ghatogh with it. You can add more to its taste by placing the whole eggs in each serving. Fun!
The recipe above provides a step-by-step guide to make Baghali Ghatogh or Persian lima beans stew. Do not forget to make this recipe and share it with us. If you also have any questions about this recipe, please do not hesitate to ask.