Avgolemono soup is a traditional Greek soup made with chicken, rice, and eggs. The soup is very simple to make, and the ingredients can be easily found at any grocery store. This soup is perfect for a winter day and can be served with some crusty bread. Stay with Cooking County if you want to cook a new delicious Greek soup!
Avgolemono Soup History
The origin of Avgolemono soup is unknown, but it is thought to date back to ancient Greece. The name means “egg lemon,” and the soup is made with egg yolks, lemon juice, and chicken broth.
Avgolemono soup was traditionally made with chicken, but today it is often made with fish or vegetarian broth. It is a hearty and nutritious soup that can be enjoyed all year round.
This famous soup has many variations, but the traditional recipe is still the best. If you’re looking for a delicious and healthy soup to make at home, try Avgolemono!
How to Make Avgolemono?
- 700 grams chicken with bone
- 1 bunch celery leaves
- 3 medium carrots
- 1 chopped onion
- 3/4 cup uncooked short-grain rice
- 2 eggs
- 2 lemons
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt as needed
- Pepper as needed
- 2 tablespoons parsley
Put the chicken in the pot, the celery leaves, three carrots, bay leaf and one whole onion, and pour about eight glasses of water on it.
Note: Be careful to pour enough water to cover the chickens, so you have enough chicken juice.
Allow the chicken to cook with the other ingredients for an hour and a half. During this time, remove the foam with a spoon. Season the cooked chicken with salt and pepper. Discard the celery leaves and onion, and keep only the carrot and chicken stock.
Pour a cup of chicken broth into the bowl, add lemon juice, and set it aside. Put the remaining chicken stock on low heat, and add salt and rice.
To achieve the desired consistency, add a tablespoon of half-grain rice to each cup of chicken stock. You can add more rice to have a thicker soup. While preparing Avgolemono soup, lower the heat and let it simmer for 15 to 20 minutes until the rice is cooked.
Grate the chicken and carrots and put them in the soup, and let them cook slowly. You can also put chicken and carrots on a plate and serve them separately.
Step Six: Preparing Avgolemono sauce
Now, separate the egg white. In a small bowl, pour the egg yolks and lemon juice.
Note: Set them aside and do not stir them.
In another bowl, stir the egg whites until stiff. Add the yolks to the whites and stir until they are uniform.
Add the reserved chicken stock to the egg mixture. Be careful that the chicken broth should be cool enough because it cooks the eggs (the chicken broth should be lukewarm). Gradually add two tablespoons of chicken stock to the egg mixture until finished.
Add the avgolemono sauce to the pot to combine with the cooked rice and chicken. Let them cook on medium heat for a few minutes.
How to Serve Avgolemono Soup?
Your Avgolemono soup is ready. Garnish with chopped parsley, and enjoy it!
Do not forget to make this recipe and share it with us. Please do not hesitate to ask if you also have any related questions about the Avgolemono soup recipe.
Techniques of Cooking Avgolemono Soup
- It is better to make this soup with fresh lemon juice. The sourness of Avgolemono soup can be varied according to your taste.
- Cook the chicken breast on low heat for more tender and juicy meat.
- You can prepare shredded chicken breast, chicken stock and lemon two days in advance.
- Leave the eggs out of the fridge at room temperature before adding them to the soup.
- According to your taste, you can use spinach or arugula for the soup.
- To have more delicious chicken broth, you can use whole pieces of chicken with skin and bones.
- The rice you use for soup should be short-grain rice. Remember to use something other than aromatic rice.
- Put the eggs in the hot broth to cook better and faster. Just be careful not to eat each other in the chicken broth.
- If you’re short on time, a good quality store-bought stock will work fine.
- Add rice for body and texture. Avgolemono soup should have a creamy consistency, which is why we like to add rice to ours.
- The most important ingredient in avgolemono soup is balance. Too much lemon and the soup will be sour; too much egg and it will be heavy; too much rice and it will be starchy.