Iranians love this delicious cold yogurt soup. It has an elementary ingredient. All it takes to make ab doogh khiar is nothing but cucumber and yogurt, and you are done.
In Iran, they love this refreshing cold soup, or ab doogh khiar, which is also considered a great appetizer. Do not worry; the soup is light and fantastic for hot summer days.
Ab means water and doogh are buttermilk made by stirring yogurt butter, but this dish is often made from a mixture of yogurt and water.
It is highly optional as some love to have ab doogh khiar as a light dinner option or as an appetizer. The cold yogurt soup is very light and is made for hot days when you don’t want hungry food. It’s so refreshing that the Iranians believe it kills the heat in our bodies.
It’s easy to make, but the ingredients must be as fresh as possible. Using fresh herbs in the recipe is highly recommended for the best flavor and texture. You can mix yogurt in advance and store it in the refrigerator so that you can serve the bowl at any time.
Optional rose petals make it clean and typically Persian. You can usually find food-grade dried rose petals in Middle Eastern supermarkets.
Let us read further to understand how we can prepare this yummy cold yogurt soup. You can decide how you desire to enjoy your ab doogh khiar with your loved ones at home.
How to Prepare Ab Doogh Khiar?
First, let us read about the ingredients we need to prepare it.
Ingredients of Ab Doogh Khiar
- 2 Shallots
- Two cloves of garlic(optional)
- 1/3 cup of cream
- A tiny bunch of mint
- Few strings of dill
- Greek yogurt
- Raisins (optional)
- Crunchy bread
- Ice cubes to enjoy ab doogh khiar cold
- And finally, salt and pepper
How to prepare cold yogurt soup at home?
- First, you need to peel the cucumbers and slice them nicely lengthwise.
- Then, you need to dice the cucumbers and make them small.
- Peel the shallots along with the garlic. Then chop them into small fine pieces.
- Wash the herbs carefully and chop them into tiny pieces.
- Now it’s time for the yogurt, diced cucumbers, herbs, and crunchy bread. Add them and mix them in a big bowl.
- Once you have added all the ingredients, it’s time to add the ice to it and salt, raisins, and pepper to taste.
- You can even keep it in the refrigerator to make it cooler and have it cold. It is a treat to the soul.
Keep in mind and remember to Mix all the ingredients. The soup should be smooth without lumps. Not too watery and not too thick. If it’s too watery, add more Greek yogurt. If it’s too thick, add two or three ice cubes.
Stir well before serving and decorate with dried rose petals and dried mint. Some people like crispy bread, so add it just before serving. Others add it when cooling for softer bread.
Enjoy and celebrate the summer’s scorching days with this Iranian favorite!
The recipe above provides a step-by-step guide to make Ab Doogh Khiar or cold Yogurt Cucumber Soup. Do not forget to make this recipe and share it with us. If you also have any questions about this recipe, please do not hesitate to ask.